I am committed to making the workplace of higher education a supportive, constructive, and meaningful endeavor. With over a decade of administrative experience, I facilitate meetings and offer workshops and professional development services (at very reasonable rates)* designed to help faculty be effective administrators, to enhance the cohesiveness and effectiveness of academic departments, and to promote collaboration and #academickindness in higher ed work environments. For more information and testimonials, visit this site.
I have recently worked with colleagues at Hofstra University, the University of Missouri at St. Louis, and Carthage College. I was also a facilitator at the American Historical Association’s 2018 Workshop for Department Chairs.
Skeptical about consultants? I am, too! But sometimes a department or a campus needs an outsider’s perspective. And I’m the perfect combination–I’m an outsider, who’s also an insider to the academy. So I promise no management-speak or gimmicky group work. Just straight talk and practical solutions based on conversations with you and your colleagues. I am also available as a speaker on any of the topics below or related issues.
I have worked with colleagues in a variety of areas including:
- facilitating professional development for administrators (work-life balance, productivity, morale)
- providing training and preparation for department chairs, especially in the humanities
- helping academic units identify their purpose and goals
- addressing the concerns of women in higher ed
- conducting program reviews, for both internal and external assessment
- preparing faculty for careers in administration
- guiding departments through curricular change
- changing campus, institutional, and departmental cultures to promote collaboration and respect
*Rates: Depending upon the work involved and the number of participants, my daily rate ranges from $1000/day + travel expenses. Typically meetings or workshops take from 1-2 days.
Contact me at talestoldoutofschool ~ at ~ gmail ~ dot ~ com if you’re interested in having me visit your campus. Or fill out an interest form and we can start planning a visit.