I am committed to making the workplace of higher education a supportive, constructive, and meaningful endeavor.
I bring all this experience to bear in my work as a consultant. I lead workshops, facilitate meetings, and offer coaching in three key areas:
- Curriculum and programming: helping academic departments enhance their cohesiveness, outreach, and enrollments by developing strong curricula and programming
- Faculty development: supporting faculty who choose to make the transition to administration
- Promoting the humanities: enhancing the visibility of the humanities on campuses through curricular and programmatic initiatives.
I have worked with colleagues at Cal State Northridge, Hofstra University, the University of Missouri at St. Louis, and Carthage College. I have been a facilitator at the American Historical Association’s 2018 and 2019 Workshop for Department Chairs. I will also be a facilitator at the 2020 workshop.
Skeptical about consultants? I am, too! But sometimes a department or a campus needs an outsider’s perspective. And I’m the perfect combination–I’m an outsider, who’s also an insider to the academy. So I promise no management-speak or gimmicky group work. Just straight talk and practical solutions based on conversations with you and your colleagues.
I have worked with colleagues in a variety of areas including:
- guiding departments through curricular change
- preparing faculty for careers in administration
- facilitating professional development for administrators (work-life balance, productivity, morale)
- providing training and preparation for department chairs, especially in history and the humanities
- helping academic units identify their purpose and goals
- addressing the concerns of women in higher ed
- conducting program reviews, for both internal and external assessment
*Rates: Negotiable; depending upon the work involved and the number of participants, my daily rate begins at $1000/day + travel expenses. Typically meetings or workshops take from 1-2 days.
I can also provide individual consultations/coaching and I am available as a speaker on any of the topics described above (fees negotiable).
I am happy to provide references from colleagues who have worked with me. My current cv is available here.
Contact me at talestoldoutofschool ~ at ~ gmail ~ dot ~ com if you’re interested in having me visit your campus. Or fill out an interest form and we can start planning a visit.